Europe
2026.02.22 22:29 GMT+8

Afghanistan confirms Pakistani airstrikes on border areas

Updated 2026.02.22 22:29 GMT+8
CGTN

Afghan residents dig mass graves for the victims, killed in an overnight Pakistani air strike, during a funeral ceremony at the Girdi Kas village in Bihsud district, Nangarhar province. /AFP

Afghanistan said that Pakistan strikes on border regions had killed and wounded "dozens of people."

"Last night, they bombed our civilian compatriots in Nangarhar and Paktika provinces, martyring and wounding dozens of people, including women and children," government spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid posted on X.

Islamabad said Sunday it had carried out strikes along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border targeting militant groups it blames for recent suicide attacks in Pakistan.

Citing three attacks since the start of Ramadan last week, Pakistan "has carried out intelligence-based selective targeting of seven Terrorist camps and hideouts belonging to Pakistani Taliban" and its affiliates in the border region, a statement by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting said.

The overnight attacks killed at least 18 people and were the most extensive since border clashes in October, which left more than 70 dead on both sides and wounded hundreds. 

Islamabad said it hit seven sites along the border region targeting Afghanistan-based militant groups, in response to suicide bombings in Pakistan. 

The military targeted the Pakistani Taliban and its associates, as well as an affiliate of the Islamic State group, a statement by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting said.

Afghan government spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid said "people's homes have been destroyed, they have targeted civilians, they have committed this criminal act" with the bombardment of Nangarhar and Paktika provinces. 

Residents from around the remote Bihsud district in Nangarhar joined searchers to look for bodies under the rubble, using shovels and a digger. 

Afghan children walk past a damaged car after an overnight Pakistani airstrike at the Balish village in Urgun district, Paktika Province. /AFP

Afghanistan's defense ministry said it will "deliver an appropriate and calculated response" to the Pakistani strikes.

 

Deteriorating relationship

The two countries have been locked in an increasingly bitter dispute since the Taliban authorities retook control of Afghanistan in 2021.

Several rounds of negotiations followed an initial ceasefire brokered by Qatar and Turkiye, but they have failed to produce a lasting agreement.

Saudi Arabia intervened this month, mediating the release of three Pakistani soldiers captured by Afghanistan in October.

The deteriorating relationship has hit people in both countries, with the land border largely shut for months.

Pakistan said that despite repeated urging by Islamabad, the Taliban authorities have failed to act against militant groups using Afghan territory to carry out attacks in Pakistan.

The Afghan government has denied harboring militants.

Islamabad launched the strikes after a suicide blast at a Shiite mosque in Islamabad two weeks ago and other such attacks more recently in northwestern Pakistan. 

The Islamic State group had claimed responsibility for the mosque bombing, which killed at least 40 people and wounded more than 160 in the deadliest attack in Islamabad since 2008. 

The militant group's regional chapter, Islamic State-Khorasan, also claimed a deadly suicide bombing at a Kabul restaurant last month. 

Source(s): AFP
Copyright © 

RELATED STORIES