By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of cookies, revised Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. You can change your cookie settings through your browser.
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, pictured riding a horse in Windsor, Britain, on February 2. /Toby Melville/Reuters
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, pictured riding a horse in Windsor, Britain, on February 2. /Toby Melville/Reuters
British police said on Thursday a man in his sixties had been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office. Thames Valley Police added that they would not be naming the man "as per national guidance".
BBC TV reported earlier that police had arrested King Charles' younger brother Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor – who turns 66 on Thursday – on suspicion of misconduct in public office over his links to Jeffrey Epstein.
Earlier newspapers reported that six unmarked police cars and around eight plain clothed officers had arrived at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate in eastern England earlier on Thursday.
Thames Valley Police said earlier this month officers were considering allegations that Mountbatten-Windsor had passed confidential government documents to the late sex offender, according to files recently released by the US government.
A Thames Valley Police statement read: "As part of the investigation, we have today (February 19) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.
"The man remains in police custody at this time.
"We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court."
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: "Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.
"It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.
"We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time."
King Charles said on Thursday it was with "deepest concern" he had learnt about the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor. /Reuters
King Charles said on Thursday it was with "deepest concern" he had learnt about the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor. /Reuters
King Charles said on Thursday it was with "deepest concern" he had learnt about the arrest of Andrew adding that the law must take its course.
"I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office," Charles said in a statement.
"What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities ... Let me state clearly: the law must take its course."
Mountbatten-Windsor, the second son of the late Queen Elizabeth, has always denied any wrongdoing in relation to Epstein, and said he regrets their friendship but has not responded to requests for comment since the latest release of documents.
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, pictured riding a horse in Windsor, Britain, on February 2. /Toby Melville/Reuters
British police said on Thursday a man in his sixties had been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office. Thames Valley Police added that they would not be naming the man "as per national guidance".
BBC TV reported earlier that police had arrested King Charles' younger brother Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor – who turns 66 on Thursday – on suspicion of misconduct in public office over his links to Jeffrey Epstein.
Earlier newspapers reported that six unmarked police cars and around eight plain clothed officers had arrived at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate in eastern England earlier on Thursday.
Thames Valley Police said earlier this month officers were considering allegations that Mountbatten-Windsor had passed confidential government documents to the late sex offender, according to files recently released by the US government.
A Thames Valley Police statement read: "As part of the investigation, we have today (February 19) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.
"The man remains in police custody at this time.
"We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court."
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: "Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.
"It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.
"We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time."
King Charles said on Thursday it was with "deepest concern" he had learnt about the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor. /Reuters
King Charles said on Thursday it was with "deepest concern" he had learnt about the arrest of Andrew adding that the law must take its course.
"I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office," Charles said in a statement.
"What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities ... Let me state clearly: the law must take its course."
Mountbatten-Windsor, the second son of the late Queen Elizabeth, has always denied any wrongdoing in relation to Epstein, and said he regrets their friendship but has not responded to requests for comment since the latest release of documents.