Our Privacy Statement & Cookie Policy

By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of cookies, revised Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. You can change your cookie settings through your browser.

I agree

Israel blocks aid into Gaza as ceasefire standoff escalates

Translating...

Content is automatically generated by Microsoft Azure Translator Text API. CGTN is not responsible for any of the translations.

Gazans gathered for Ramadan at the weekend as the fragile truce continued. /Bashar Taleb/AFP
Gazans gathered for Ramadan at the weekend as the fragile truce continued. /Bashar Taleb/AFP

Gazans gathered for Ramadan at the weekend as the fragile truce continued. /Bashar Taleb/AFP

Israel blocked the entry of aid trucks into Gaza on Sunday and carried out an airstrike as a standoff over the truce that has halted fighting for the past six weeks escalated, with Hamas calling on Egyptian and Qatari mediators to intervene.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office said earlier that it had adopted a proposal by U.S. President Donald Trump's envoy, Steve Witkoff, for a temporary ceasefire in Gaza for the Ramadan and Passover periods, hours after the first phase of the previously agreed ceasefire expired.

If agreed, the truce would halt fighting until the end of the Ramadan fasting period around March 31 and the Jewish Passover holiday around April 20.

 

Ceasefire phases

The truce would be conditional on Hamas releasing half of the living and dead hostages on the first day, with the remainder released at the conclusion, if an agreement is reached on a permanent ceasefire.

Hamas says it is committed to the originally agreed ceasefire that had been scheduled to move into a second phase, with negotiations aimed at a permanent end to the war, and it has rejected the idea of a temporary extension to the 42-day truce.

Reflecting the fragility of the ceasefire deal, local health officials said Israeli gunfire had killed four Palestinians in separate attacks in the northern and southern Gaza Strip.

The Israeli military said that "suspects" were identified close to its troops in northern Gaza and that they had planted a bomb. It added that an airstrike was carried out to "eliminate the threat."

Omer Shem Tov, kidnapped during the October 7, 2023 attack by Hamas, was released last week and arrived home from hospital in Israel on Saturday. /Yael Guisky Abas/Reuters
Omer Shem Tov, kidnapped during the October 7, 2023 attack by Hamas, was released last week and arrived home from hospital in Israel on Saturday. /Yael Guisky Abas/Reuters

Omer Shem Tov, kidnapped during the October 7, 2023 attack by Hamas, was released last week and arrived home from hospital in Israel on Saturday. /Yael Guisky Abas/Reuters

Egyptian sources said on Friday that the Israeli delegation in Cairo had sought to extend the first phase by 42 days, while Hamas wanted to move to the second phase of the ceasefire deal. Spokesman Hazem Qassem said on Saturday that the group rejected Israel's "formulation" of extending the first phase.

In the first phase of the ceasefire, Hamas handed over 33 Israeli hostages as well as five Thais returned in an unscheduled release, in exchange for around 2,000 Palestinian prisoners and detainees from Israeli jails and the withdrawal of Israeli troops from some of their positions in Gaza.

Under the original agreement, the second phase was intended to see the start of negotiations over the release of the remaining 59 hostages, the full withdrawal of Israeli troops from Gaza, and a final end to the war.

However the talks never began and Israel says all its hostages must be returned for fighting to stop.

"Israel will not allow a ceasefire without the release of our hostages," Netanyahu's office said, announcing that the entry of all goods and supplies into the Gaza Strip would be halted.

"If Hamas persists in its refusal, there will be additional consequences."

 

'Blackmail and a coup'

Hamas has denounced Israel's move as "blackmail" and a "blatant coup against the agreement".

"We call on mediators to pressure the occupation to fulfill its obligations under the agreement, in all its phases," it said, adding that the only way to get the hostages back would be to adhere to the agreement and start talks for the second phase.

Commenting on the goods suspension, senior Hamas official Sami Abu Zuhri said the decision would impact the ceasefire talks, adding his group "doesn't respond to pressures."

Speaking at a news conference with his Croatian counterpart, Israel's Foreign Minister Gideon Saar said Palestinians in Gaza would not get goods for free and further negotiations should be linked to the release of the hostages.

Source(s): AFP
Search Trends